Due to volunteer needs and space limitations, the Friends of the Lewes Public Library will accept 10 books per person. Please do NOT drop off any donations of books or other items outside the library.
Please see the Book Donation Policy below.
Book Donation Policy
The Friends of the Lewes Public Library accepts gently used books, DVDs, and CDs to benefit the Library. Please see our acceptance guidelines below. Some of these donations are incorporated into the Library’s collection, while others are sold in the Friends’ book sale or in the Friends’ shop, Just Between Friends. Proceeds from the sales help pay for 100% of the books added to the Library’s collection, as well as many of the free programs offered.
Book donations are accepted at the Just Between Friends Shop from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday and Saturday from 10:00 am – 1:30 pm. When the Shop is closed, please check with the Library Circulation Desk for instructions.
Due to space limitations in the Library storage areas, we are no longer able to accept more 10 individual books from one person at any given time. Anyone wishing to donate items may bring in individual books or small bags of up to 10 books. We are NOT accepting boxes of books until further notice.
We accept the following books and monographs:
- antiquarian, rare and collectible books (ex: special collections)
- children’s books
- college textbooks (published within past 10 years)
- foreign language books (in Western script)
- hardcover fiction and nonfiction
- mass market paperbacks
We accept the following other media:
- CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs
- books on CD
- video games
NOTE: Only send complete disc sets with original case art and unlock any media prior to shipping.
We DO NOT accept:
- any items that do not meet the Condition Requirements listed below
- activity books and workbooks (ex: coloring books)
- annuals and yearbooks
- audio cassettes, VHS tapes, LP records, or computer software
- books published by magazines (ex: Reader’s Digest Condensed and Time-Life Books)
- Britannica and World Books encyclopedia
- dated reference material (over 5 years old)
- free copies, examination copies, or Advanced Reading Copies
- journals and periodicals (ex: Literary Criticisms)
- non-Western script books
- tax and government documents or forms
NOTE: Condition Requirements
Books must be free of mildew, mold, and dirt. They should not exhibit excessive spine damage, have missing pages, or be missing their covers. Books cannot have water damage.
Please leave any library treatments intact. No part of the book’s pages should be removed with scissors or razor blades.
For media, sets must be complete and cannot be missing the original case art.