Community support is critical to our continued growth and vitality as a public resource. You can make a difference and help ensure a bright future for generations to come by making a gift to the Library. Please read on to learn more about how you can help.
Smail Memorial Scholarship
The Smail Memorial Scholarship Fund is established by gifts from the Smail Family and friends, and augmented by an anonymous donor. Your gift will help to provide scholarships to graduating high school students who have given exceptional service to the Library.
Give Now to the Smail Memorial Scholarship Fund
To contribute to the Smail Memorial Scholarship Fund now, you can:
- Give online.
- Cash Contributions – write a check payable to the Library, with “Smail Fund” in the memo line. Then mail or drop it off at the Library.
- Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) – direct transfers of funds from your IRA custodian payable to a qualified charity. QCDs can be counted toward satisfying your required minimum distributions (RMDs) for the year. In addition to helping the library, the amount donated, up to $100,000 per tax year, is excluded from your taxable income.
- Gifts of Property – be more philanthropic than you thought possible while receiving significant tax savings.
- These may include securities, real estate and tangible property, such as artwork, books or equipment.
- Irrevocable gifts of real estate can allow you to enjoy your assets in your lifetime and gain a tax benefit today.
- Gifts of appreciated stock provide you with a double benefit – a charitable tax deduction for the full current market value and you won’t be subject to capital gains tax on the appreciation in value. Plus, you gain the satisfaction of helping the Library.
Information on how to complete a donation of stock may be found here.
Individual donors may dictate the specific purpose/use for donations – which must be acceptable to the library.
The Gift and Donation Policy may be found here.
Donations of $25,000+ and/or bequests will be named in the Library’s Legacy Society.
For beneficiary designations, please use the legal name Lewes Public Library and the library’s federal tax ID #: 51-0350650. Thank you!
Do you have questions or need more information?
Please contact Rebecca Lowe, Library Development Director, at (302) 645-2733, ext. 4117 or by email.
The history of libraries in Lewes is long and rich. For the full story, read about Three Hundred Years of Generosity in Lewes.